Thursday, May 28, 2015

Crash - Post#1 Initial thoughts

Hello everyone, I am reading Crash by Jerry Spinelli. So far, the book is about a boy named John Coogan, but everyone calls him Crash. The summer before Crash enters first grade, a boy called Penn Webb moved into his neighborhood. During their first interaction, Crash makes up his mind that he does not like Penn, and from then on bullies and torments him. Penn allows Crash to bully him and does not show any form of anger or aggression.
This is the first time that I have read a book from the perspective of a bully. I thought that reading from Crash’s point of view would allow me to understand where he is coming from and to be able to empathize with him, but that is not the case. Crash is not only a bully, but a spoiled obnoxious brat and I really dislike him. I was surprised by how malicious his thoughts were at just six years old. I teach kindergarten and my students are not like that. Crash seems to be deeply troubled. I initially thought that his home environment was the cause, but then there is his sister Abby who is very sweet and is the total opposite of Crash.

I wish this book was told from the perspective of Penn. I want to enter his brain and find out what he is thinking and why he allows Crash and Mike to do all these things to him and never speak up. I love Penn’s attitude and that it doesn't matter how much Crash tortures and humiliates him he doesn't let it get to him or bring him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment