Saturday, June 20, 2015

Crash-- 3 Most Salient Moments

Moment # 1--When Abby and her mother get into a heated discussion about her protesting the new mall.

Abby has a sense of pride, but her mother is furious and frustrated with her.

As I was reading, I was so proud of Abby for standing up for what she believes in even though no one else in her family supports her. She challenged what her mother was saying and made excellent arguments that shocked even her mother. I wanted to give her a high five and tell her how awesome she is and that she should continue to stand up for what she believes in. I feel like the author took away from this moment and made it less powerful by having Crash explain what they were both saying.



Moment # 2 --When Scooter has a stroke.

Crash is scared and worried. He kept asking questions like "Why wasn't he moving?"

For the first time I actually felt bad for Crash. He is mean and spends so much time pulling pranks and bullying Penn that I did not like him at all. In this moment he let go of his tough guy act and actually showed some emotions. I felt the pain and fear and wanted to give him a hug and tell him that everything was going to be all right. The author did not have the character say how he was feeling, instead we see that he is worried and scared through all the questions he was asking and that sense of panic.



Moment # 3 --When Mike goes into Scooter's room, tries his sailor hat on, and comments "I thought you said he was in the hospital, he don't need it he is old".In that moment Crash is angry and hurt. As I was reading, I was thinking Crash's anger is justified and how could Mike be so insensitive. I know Mike is also a bully and does not care about others, but i expected him to show concern for his friend. Mike can't seem to realize that his friend is hurting and only cares about himself. The author does a great job of showing Mike's lack of concern by contrasting it with Penn's behavior towards Crash. Penn comes over right after the incident and leaves Scooter a gift  with a card that wishes him well.



No comments:

Post a Comment