Thursday, June 4, 2015

Crash Chapter 18 -- Components of Comprehension

Crash by Jerry Spinelli
Chapter 18

I know…
(Literal)
  • I know John Coogan (Crash) is the main character
  • I know Crash plays football for his school.
  • I know Crash’s parents said they would come to the football game and did not come.
  • I know Penn’s parents came to the football game.
  • I know Crash scored six touch downs in the game.
  • I know Penn and Jane are now cheerleaders.


I feel…
(Emotive)
  • I feel bad for Crash. It is sad that his parents did not show up to his football game. As I was reading I felt his pain and that he was deeply upset that they did not show up.
  • I feel anger towards Crash’s parents. They are not involved in their children’s lives and do not seem to care too much about their accomplishments.
  • I feel proud of Penn for being brave enough to try out for cheerleading and becoming the first male cheerleader at his school.  
  • I also feel proud of Crash for scoring six touchdowns. I was however turned off by how cocky and overly confident he was.


I believe…
(Inferential)
  • I believe Jane secretly likes Crash back.
  • I believe Crash is jealous of Penn and the relationship he has with his parents. He is jealous of the fact that they support him and actually spend time with him.
  • I believe the person in the kitchen cooking is scooter Crash’s grandfather.


I wonder…
(Questioning)
  • I wonder why Crash’s parents did not show up to the football game even though they told Crash they would come.
  • I wonder why Penn decided to become a cheerleader.
  • I wonder how the other students as well as Penn’s parents felt about him being the first and only male cheerleader.
  • I wonder why Jane was standing with her hands on her hips and did not cheer for Crash along with everyone else.  
  • I wonder who the person standing in the kitchen cooking is. 

I see/envision…
(Imagery)
  • I see a football stadium
  • I see a green field with white lines and numbers drawn on it.
  • I see a giant score board with numbers in orange.
  • I see children in two different football uniforms. (Crash's school uniform is blue and white and the other school is red and white)
  • I see adults and children in the crowd with their hands up in the air and some clapping. 

I hear…
(Key words, phrases)
  • I hear children and adults in the stand cheering Crash’s name.
  • I hear people clapping and cheering. 
  • I hear whistles blowing
  • I hear young boys yelling and grunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment